A graffiti management program for businesses in Newcastle's CBD. Expression of Interest (EOI) now open for eligible businesses. EOI closes 10 May 2022
Small Walls is a public art program that assists businesses with managing graffiti on their street fronts. The 2022 Small Walls program has been supported by City of Newcastle Council and will deliver 10 murals in the CBD between May and October 2022.
The Small Walls program is fully funded and is of no cost to businesses or landowners. The program works by organising a local emerging artist to design and paint a mural on business buildings that have been subjected to vandalism.
Why murals? Public art has been proven to help reduce tagging and graffiti, make spaces safer by activating them and increasing foot traffic, improving overall attractiveness of urban spaces and encouraging a stronger sense of place within the community.
Eligible businesses must be located within the Special Business Rate in Newcastle’s CBD. See map below.
Register for our free Information Session (zoom) on the Tuesday 26 April at 7pm. Register here.
- To be eligible businesses must be experiencing or have experienced unwanted graffiti on their building.
- The business and building must be operating and located in the Special Business Rate precinct in Newcastle’s CBD (See map below).
- Businesses who are rental tenants can apply, however businesses need to feel confident that they can get written approval from the landowner before the mural is installed.
- Buildings with exposed raw brick may not be eligible. Murals on raw brick are subject to Newcastle Council City heritage approval.
- Small and micro businesses are encouraged to apply.
- The business wall is relatively small (under 40 square metres) and able to be painted using a standard A-Frame Ladder to reach the top of the wall.
- Please note that murals will not include any signage, business names, logos or corporate colour palettes.
- Business/landowners will be given the option to have their mural anti-graffiti coated.
- A written agreement will be given to each business/landowner enabling them to remove the mural at any time in the future, at their own expense, should they need to remove it.
Artist Register of Interest
Are you an emerging artist in Newcastle or surrounding areas, or do you have a strong connection with Newcastle? If you are a visual artist and have been looking for opportunities to build mural painting skills then this might be an ideal opportunity for you. Register your interest on the link below (2 -3 minute online form).
Our written artist agreeents for Small Walls artists ensure that artists have their copyright protected and their artist payment fee is set at the onset of the mural.
Small Walls Info Session (Zoom)
7pm, Tuesday 26 April
Designed for interested businesses to learn more about the Small Walls project. This session will discuss the programs aims, outline how the murals are organised, discuss the parameters around business input into the artist choice and design and answer any questions. Please allow 40 minutes for this session.